— Previous Two NBA Champions Meet for Historic Third Consecutive Time in The Finals after Epic Seven-Game Series Last Year —
— Four-Time Kia MVP LeBron James Leads Defending Champion Cleveland against Two-Time Kia MVP Stephen Curry and 2015 NBA Champion Golden State —
NEW YORK, May 30, 2017 – The Cleveland Cavaliers will meet the Golden State Warriors in a historic NBA Finals 2017, which tips off on Thursday, June 1 at 9 p.m. ET on ABC. For the first time in NBA history, the same two teams will face each other in The Finals for the third consecutive year.
Cleveland and Golden State have split Finals series the previous two seasons. Last year, the Cavaliers earned their first NBA championship in franchise history, becoming the first team to rally from a 3-1 deficit to win The Finals. Two years ago, the Warriors defeated the Cavaliers in six games to win their first NBA title in 40 years.
Here is a look at The Finals 2017, which will reach fans live in 215 countries and territories in 49 countries on their television, computers, mobile devices and tablets.
- 3 – This year’s Finals will mark the first time that two teams will meet for the NBA title for a third consecutive season in the league’s 71-year history.
- 61 – The series between the Cavaliers and Warriors will be the first time in 61 years that teams in any major North American professional sport league will meet for the third straight time with a championship on the line.
- 4 – Across the NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL, Cavaliers-Warriors marks the fourth time that two teams will play for a championship for the third year in a row (NFL – Cleveland Browns vs. Detroit Lions, 1952-54; MLB – New York Yankees vs. New York Giants, 1921-23; NHL – Detroit Red Wings vs. Montreal Canadians, 1954-56).
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Golden State Warriors
- 11 – The two teams feature a combined 11 players who have been named All-Stars, the most in a Finals series since the 1983 matchup between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Philadelphia 76ers.
- 12 – The Warriors are the first team in NBA history to win their first 12 games in a single postseason.
- 7 – Four-time Kia NBA MVP LeBron James of Cleveland is set to become the seventh player in NBA history to play in The Finals in seven consecutive seasons.
- The other players to accomplish the feat played for the Boston Celtics in the 1950s and 1960s: Bill Russell (10 straight Finals appearances), Tom Heinsohn (nine), K.C. Jones (eight), Sam Jones (nine), Frank Ramsey (eight) and Bob Cousy (seven).
- 30 – Two-time Kia NBA MVP Stephen Curry’s No. 30 again leads the list of most popular NBA jerseys. This marks the second straight regular season that the Warriors’ guard has earned top honors.
- 1,000 – Golden State and Cleveland are two of the three franchises (along with the Houston Rockets) to make 1,000 three-pointers in an NBA regular season.
- The Warriors converted 1,077 three-pointers last season, which is the second-highest single-season total in NBA history. The Cavaliers hit 1,067 threes this season, which is the third-highest mark ever. (Houston holds the record after connecting on 1,181 threes this season.)
- 2 – Cleveland’s Tyronn Lue is looking to become the second head coach in NBA history to win championships in each of his first two seasons. The only coach to do it is John Kundla (Minneapolis Lakers, 1949 and 1950).
The Finals on ABC
- 9 – Mark Jackson will serve as a Finals analyst for the ninth time, the most by any African-American analyst in history for a nationally televised Finals.
- 8 – This year will mark the eighth time that the team of Mike Breen, Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy and Doris Burke has called a Finals together.
- 21 – NBA TV’s studio analysts on site have appeared in 21 Finals (Shaquille O’Neal: 6; Kevin McHale: 5; Isiah Thomas: 3; Kenny Smith: 2; Brent Barry: 2; Charles Barkley: 1; Steve Smith: 1; Dennis Scott: 1).
- 90 – Live At The Finals, NBA TV’s 90-minute pregame show, will air each game day during The Finals.
NBA Social Media
- 1.3B – The NBA has created one of the largest social media communities in the world with more than 1.3 billion likes and followers globally across all league, team and player platforms.
- 90M – LeBron James is the most-followed NBA player on social media with 90 million followers combined across Facebook (23.1 million), Twitter (36.4 million) and Instagram (30.5 million).
NBA Finals Around the World
- 265 – More than 265 international media members from more than 35 countries and territories will be onsite to cover The Finals.
- 16 – Sixteen international television and radio networks from Belgium, Brazil, China, France, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Middle East, Philippines, Poland, Spain and Taiwan will provide live onsite commentary.
- 14 – Fourteen television networks will broadcast The Finals remotely for the first time: GreatSports Channel (China), DAZN (Germany), LeSports (Hong Kong), DAZN (Japan), Kwesé Sports (Pan-Africa), NBA TV – MEO (Portugal),Russiabasket.ru (Russia), Eleven Sports Network (Singapore), Aftonbladet.se (Sweden), Elevensportsnetwork.tw (Taiwan), AIS Play (Thailand), NBA TV – Turkcell TV (Turkey), S Spor (Turkey) and VTVcab (Vietnam).
- 1,089 and 1,090 – Westlake Middle School and Boys & Girls Clubs of Cleveland at East Tech High School will be the 1,089th and 1,090st places created through NBA Cares where kids and families can live, learn or play in 36 countries and territories.
Inaugural session told the tale of Commonwealth countries in state of inert and in deep slumber has awakened found its utility to its wholesome attire, in era of both globalization and rapid pace of technology transition. The participating countries are with holistic secretariat are in fervent mood to galvanize the fora of 52 countries where English is the binding force with technology too match their mental strength. The International commonwealth which was active in games is now appears active in business promotions across its member nations.
Many suggestion were made for providing SME the eco systems, free movement of people across the nations for speedy business and the same were dwelt with grace by authorities persons on the rostrum.
The India-Commonwealth Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) Trade Summit is the first of its kind for Commonwealth countries. Business leaders and high-level policymakers from 120 countries can participate in this fora. Leaders from corporate world and Many government officials came together to strengthen trade and investment partnerships within the Commonwealth. The event is being organised in Hotel Lalit New Delhi for two days. Business to Business meets are being organised with prestigious companies across Africa, Indonesia and Malaysia, 300 Indian firms and more than 100 businesses from across Commonwealth countries in one room.
During second day the technology and innovation pre lunch session was held along with parallel Business to business meet upto the Mid day in two different halls, across member nations the utility innovations were explained and the delegates and media took immense interest in the interactive session for the subjects were threadbare discussed and debated. Sponsors and partners from ICSA,FICCI,CII and others participated with fervent vigour.
Concluding session in evening with Sectary MSMS Mr KK Jalan and Additional secretary, Govt of India were Chief Guest and Guest of honours. The efforts of The Commonwealth and its Secretariat and respective Ministries from Government of India exhibited keen interest to bring the members of developed and developing economy with those in lower strata to get together to gain the strength with collective experience of technology and expertise to march ahead in their economic growth. edited om 1.6.2017
UK’s MI5 intelligence agency has launched urgent inquiries into how it missed the danger posed by the Manchester bomber Salman Abedi, amid claims his interest in being a potential terrorist killer was repeatedly reported to the authorities.
Meanwhile,British police carried out fresh raids and today arrested a Libya-born ‘trainee pilot’ in connection with the suicide attack that claimed 22 lives. According to the police, the 23-year-old was arrested at a property in Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex, more than 400-km from the Manchester Arena, where Salman Abedi detonated a suicide bomb.
Greater Manchester Police said the total number of people in custody in connection with the bombing was 14 while two others were earlier released without charge.
French President Emmanuel Macron says he held a frank exchange with Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in their first face-to-face talks.
The two leaders discussed disagreements in the meeting, held at the sumptuous Versailles palace near Paris. But Mr Macron said he wanted to work with Russia over the conflict in Syria in the struggle against terrorism.
Meanwhile, Mr Putin said he wanted to strengthen economic ties with France after the restrictions of recent years. France is in the coalition backing Sunni Arab and Kurdish rebels opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who has strong military help from Russia and Iran.
Later in the joint news conference after yesterday’s talks both leaders said there were opportunities for their countries to work together more closely.
POWERGRID’s Profit After Tax crosses Rs. 7500 crore
Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID), a ‘Navratna’ Company under Ministry of Power, GoI, has posted a net profit of Rs.7,520 crore over a turnover of Rs. 26,581 crore for FY 2016-17, registering a growth of about 25% in Turnover and 26% in Net Profit compared to FY 2015-16, on a standalone basis. The Company surpassed Rs.25,000 crore Turnover and Rs.7,500 crore Profit After Tax for the first time.
For the fourth quarter of FY2016-17, the Company has posted a net profit of Rs. 1,916 crore, as against a net profit of Rs.1,569 crore registering an increase of 22% with respect to corresponding period of FY 2015-16.
The Company has proposed a final dividend of 33.5% in addition to interim dividend of 10.0% (already paid) for the financial year 2016-17.
As at the end of April, 2017, POWERGRID is operating about 139,700 ckt. kms. of transmission lines along with 220 Sub-stations with transformation capacity of more than 292,500 MVA. With the use of state-of-the-art maintenance techniques, average Availability of transmission system during the year 2016-17 was maintained at 99.79%.
During the FY 2016-17, POWERGRID completed a number of important inter-regional transmission lines including +/-800kV HVDC Champa-Kurukshetra line, Angul-Srikakulam line and Wardha – Nizamabad line. The Company also completed two projects under TBCB.
The Company incurred a capital expenditure to the tune of ~ Rs.24,429 crore during the period, which was highest ever in a year.
With the end of FY 2016-17, XII Five Year Plan (2012-17) has also concluded and during this period, POWERGRID has achieved highest ever capital investment of ~₹1,12,664 crore surpassing the target of ₹1,10,000 crore (originally envisaged ~₹1,00,000 crore at the beginning of the Plan).
During XII Plan, POWERGRID achieved new milestones in technology adoption, deployment and innovation. The Company successfully implemented the world’s longest multi-terminal ±800kV HVDC in the form of Biswanath-Chariyali (NER)-Agra and deployed latest state-of-the-art technologies like aerial patrolling of transmission lines using helicopters and drones for O&M of transmission lines. With
Saudi Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud along with Minister of Defence left for Russia today on the invitation of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
During the visit to Moscow, the Saudi Deputy Crown Prince will meet President Vladimir Putin and a number of senior officials to discuss bilateral relations, enhance cooperation between the two friendly countries and review issues of mutual interest. They will also discuss the Syrian conflict. Four agreements are expected to be inked between the two countries.
Bangladesh, five people were killed as Cyclone Mora made landfall in Kutubdia of Cox’s Bazar this morning. Government sources said at least 20,000 homes, mostly in Cox’s Bazar and St. Martin Island areas have been damaged. A navy ship is on the way to St Martin with relief supplies.
Authorities have instructed the army and air force to join the relief operations as they gear up to evacuate over half a million people from the coastal areas.
India Meteorological Department (IMD) said, the storm over Northeast Bay of Bengal moved further North-Northeastward. It said, the latest observations indicate that it crossed Bangladesh coast about 30 km south of Chittagong this morning. The MeT office said, the system is likely to continue to move north-northeastwards towards northeastern states and weaken into a cyclonic storm and then into a deep depression.
In Odisha, rain and thundershowers are likely to occur at many places including coastal and interior parts of the state during next 24 hours under the impact of Cyclone Mora. Advice for hoisting Distant Warning Signal Number Two (DW-II) at Paradip and Gopalpur ports has been issued. Fishermen have been asked not to venture into the sea.
Meanwhile, the southwest monsoon today hit Kerala and the Northeast, two days ahead of the scheduled arrival of the crucial seasonal rainfall. IMD said, Cyclone Mora, which hit the Bangladesh coast today, aided the advance of the monsoon.The normal onset date for the monsoon in Kerala, which marks its official arrival in the country, is June 1.
Early arrival of Monsoon will bring cheer to farmers, especially from the drought-hit states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka.
Southwest monsoon will further advance into remaining parts of south Arabian Sea, Lakshadweep area and Kerala, some parts of central Arabian Sea, coastal and south interior Karnataka. It is also likely to advance into some more parts of Tamil Nadu
Senior Veteran BJP and VHP leaders, including LK Advani, Dr Murli Manohar Joshi, Union Minister Uma Bharti, MP Vinay Katiyar, Vishnu Hari Dalmiya and Sadhvi Ritambhara have been granted bail by Special CBI court in Lucknow in the Ayodhya disputed structure demolition case.
They appeared today before the court for framing of the charge of criminal conspiracy in the case.
Special CBI court judge S K Yadav is hearing two cases relating to the 1992 demolition following the Supreme Court order restoring the serious criminal conspiracy offences against BJP and VHP leaders.
The Supreme Court had on April 19 directed that Mr. Advani, Ms.Uma Bharti and Mr. Joshi will face trial on conspiracy charges. It had also transferred their case from Raebareli to Lucknow.
Besides the BJP three leaders, the conspiracy charge would now be invoked against BJP MP Vinay Katiar, Sadhvi Ritambara and Vishnu Hari Dalmia, who were being tried at Raebareli.