Salman Abedi blew himself up at Manchester

Theresa May

British police suspect a 22-year-old man carried out the bomb attack in Manchester that killed 22 people and injured 59.Britain raised its terror threat level to critical, meaning a new attack is believed to be imminent and soldiers are being deployed to assist armed police.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed earlier today [Tuesday], the perpetrator was Salman Ramadan Abedi, a 22-year-old who was born and brought up in Britain.

And as the emergency services have confirmed throughout the day, his victims were innocent children, young people and their families.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them all.

British PM May said,I have just chaired another meeting of Cobra, where we again discussed the callous and cowardly terrorist attack in Manchester last night, and the operational response from the security service, the police and other emergency services.

It remains the case that, other than the terrorist himself, 22 people were killed in the attack. Fifty-nine people remain injured, and many of them have life-threatening conditions.

Trains between Manchester Piccadilly and #ManchesterAirport are now running normally. as per Mcr city council tweets.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said that it is a possibility we cannot ignore that there is a wider group of individuals linked to this attack, after a suicide bomber killed 22 people, including children, at a pop concert late Monday in Manchester.

Addressing the nation from her Downing Street residence, May said armed police who would usually protect strategic points would be replaced by members of the armed forces under Operation Temperer.

The terror threat level was previously set at severe, which means an attack is highly likely. A critical level means an attack is expected imminently.

The police said on Tuesday that Salman Abedi blew himself up at Manchester Arena on Monday night after a concert by US singer Ariana Grande.

Local media say Abedi lived in southern Manchester and that he was born in Britain to parents who had emigrated from Libya.

Investigators have raided his purported home and another location. They detained a 23-year-old man for a suspected role in the bombing.

Local media are also reporting that the dead include an 8-year-old girl and teenagers. They also say 12 of the injured are under the age of 16.

The Islamic State militant group has issued a statement claiming its involvement in the attack.

Many people gathered in a square in central Manchester for a vigil on Tuesday evening.

Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May has raised her nation’s threat level to the highest level after the deadly suicide attack in the city of Manchester.

May was speaking to reporters after a meeting of her government’s crisis response committee on Tuesday.
She said that on the basis of investigations, the thereat level should be increased for the time being from “severe” to “critical.” The level means another attack may be imminent.

The prime minister said the government is mobilizing military forces to patrol the streets and protect key sites.

Our hearts go out to those killed and wounded in Manchester. Americans will always stand shoulder to shoulder with the people of the UK.

It is the first time the threat level in Britain has been raised to critical since June of 2007

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s