- The Indian men’s basketball team lost to Iraq 68-86 on the first day of the William Jones Cup, but there were some positives to take heart from.
- Power forward Amjyot Singh Gill put in another standout performance, continuing his good form from the BRICS Games, with 22 points and 6 rebounds.
- Collectively, the Indian team’s shooting from beyond the arc was also very impressive, making 12 three pointers at a 55% conversion rate.
- Next up, the Indian men play South Korea on 16th July at 1100 hrs CST (0830 IST).
Bengaluru, 15th July 2017: The Indian men’s basketball team lost to Iraq’s National Team 68-86 on the first day of the William Jones Cup, but there were many positives to draw from the performance. The Indians raced to an early lead after the end of the first quarter, but relinquished it after being outscored 28-13 in the second quarter.
Forward Amjyot Singh Gill continued his good form from the BRICS Games, with 22 points and 6 rebounds. He was also money from downtown making 4 of 6 from beyond the arc.
There were also enthusing displays from youngsters Gurvinder Singh Gill (10 points and 5 rebounds) and Ambati Prudhvishwar Reddy (11 points and 4 assists). Collectively, the Indian team’s shooting from three point range was very impressive, as they made 12 three pointers on a 55% conversion rate.
India though will need to work on reducing its turnovers (33) as it takes on South Korea’s National Team on 16th July at 1100 hrs CST (0830 IST).
Iraq (Demaro Aquan Mayfield 19 pts, Ali Hamad 17 pts, Omar Alazawi 15 pts) bt India (Amjyot Singh Gill 22 pts, Ambati Prudhvishwar Reddy 11 pts, Gurvinder Singh Gill 10 pts) 86–68 [11-19, 28-13, 32-24, 15-12]
About the William Jones Cup
The William Jones Cup is a basketball tournament that has been held annually in Taipei since 1977. The tournament was named in honour of Renato William Jones, who was one of the founders of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA). One team represents each country, and that team could be the national team, a professional club, or a college team. The tournament will be played in a single round-robin format, and the final points tally will determine the placing of the teams.
This is the 39th edition of the tournament, and all the games will be played at the Basketball Stadium of Heping Elementary School, Taipei City.
The William Jones Cup will serve as excellent competitive exposure for India ahead of the FIBA Men’s Asia Cup to be held in Lebanon from 8th to 20th August 2017.
Last year, Phillipines’ Mighty Sports club team took gold in the men’s tournament, while South Korea and Republic of China (i.e. Chinese Taipei) – Blue finished second and third respectively. India finished 1-7 in this edition.
List of participating teams
- Canada 3D Global Sports
- India National Team
- Iran National Team
- Iraq National Team
- Japan National Team
- Korea National Team
- Lithuania Atletas Team
- Philippines National Team
- Chinese Taipei National Team A
- Chinese Taipei National Team B
India’s full schedule
- 15th July, 1100 hrs CST (or 0830 hrs IST)- versus Iraq
- 16th July, 1100 hrs CST (or 0830 hrs IST)- versus South Korea
- 17th July, 1700 hrs CST (or 1430 hrs IST)- versus Republic of China – Blue
- 18th July, 1500 hrs CST (or 1230 hrs IST)- versus Iran
- 19th July, 1300 hrs CST (or 1030 hrs IST)- versus Lithuania
- 20th July, 1500 hrs CST (or 1230 hrs IST)- versus Republic of China – White
- 21st July, 1100 hrs CST (or 0830 hrs IST)- versus Canada
- 22nd July, 1300 hrs CST (or 1030 hrs IST)- versus Philippines
- 23rd July, 1500 hrs CST (or 1230 hrs IST)- versus Japan
Official website: www.jonescup.choxue.com/