William Jones Cup Day 6: Indian men fall short against Republic of China White
- On day six of the William Jones Cup, the Indian men’s basketball team lost 87-117 against Republic of China White, which is the Chinese Taipei National Team B.
- For India, four players finished with scoring in double figures, led by Amjyot Singh Gill with 22 points.
- Muin Bek Hafeez impressed again, finishing with 13 points and hitting 3 of 5 shots from beyond the arc.
- Jeevanantham Pandi (10 points) and Anil Kumar Gowda (12 points) provided the offensive spark off the bench. Collectively, the team shot an impressive 60% from two-point range.
- Next up, the Indian men play Canada (3D Global Sports) on 21st July at 1100 hrs CST (0830 IST).
Bengaluru, 20th July 2017: On day six of the William Jones Cup, the Indian men’s basketball team lost 87-117 against Republic of China White, which is the Chinese Taipei National Team B.
The opposition dominated the first quarter and opened up a huge lead of 15 points. In the second quarter, the Indian men rediscovered their shooting form of the last few games and scored 31 points, but were unable to stop the Chinese offensive juggernaut.
The Indian team had four players scoring in double figures, led by Amjyot Singh Gill with 22 points. Muin Bek Hafeez impressed again, finishing with 13 points and hitting 3 of 5 shots from beyond the arc. Jeevanantham Pandi (10 points) and Anil Kumar (12 points) provided the offensive spark off the bench. Collectively, the team shot an impressive 60% from two-point range.
Eventually, the Indian men were outdone by the offensive production of the Chinese team, who had six players finish the game scoring in double figures. The Chinese Taipei men also racked up 18 steals which allowed them some easy points.
While the Indian team remains winless, these matches are vital for the young side, as the players have gained valuable minutes and will be looking to maintain this offensive form when they compete in the FIBA Asia Cup in Lebanon next month.
But for now, they will be focused on strengthening their defense when they take on Canada (represented by 3D Global Sports) on 21st July at 1100 hrs CST (0830 IST).
Republic of China White (Kyle Baron 18 pts; Yi-Jin Su 16 pts; Ying-Chun Chen 15 pts) bt India (Amjyot Singh Gill 22 pts; Muin Bek Hafeez 13 pts; Anil Kumar Gowda 12 pts) 117-87 [30-15, 36-31, 24-21, 27-20]
About the William Jones Cup
The William Jones Cup is a basketball tournament that has been held annually in Taipei since 1977. The tournament was named in honour of Renato William Jones, who was one of the founders of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA). One team represents each country, and that team could be the national team, a professional club, or a college team. The tournament will be played in a single round-robin format, and the final points tally will determine the placing of the teams.
This is the 39th edition of the tournament, and all the games will be played at the Basketball Stadium of Heping Elementary School, Taipei City.
The William Jones Cup will serve as excellent competitive exposure for India ahead of the FIBA Men’s Asia Cup to be held in Lebanon from 8th to 20th August 2017.
Last year, Phillipines’ Mighty Sports club team took gold in the men’s tournament, while South Korea and Republic of China (i.e. Chinese Taipei) – Blue finished second and third respectively. India finished 1-7 in this edition.
List of participating teams
- Canada 3D Global Sports
- India National Team
- Iran National Team
- Iraq National Team
- Japan National Team
- Korea National Team
- Lithuania Atletas Team
- Philippines National Team
- Chinese Taipei National Team A
- Chinese Taipei National Team B
India’s full schedule
- 15th July, 1100 hrs CST (or 0830 hrs IST)- versus Iraq
- 16th July, 1100 hrs CST (or 0830 hrs IST)- versus South Korea
- 17th July, 1900 hrs CST (or 1730 hrs IST)- versus Republic of China – Blue
- 18th July, 1500 hrs CST (or 1230 hrs IST)- versus Iran
- 19th July, 1300 hrs CST (or 1030 hrs IST)- versus Lithuania
- 20th July, 1500 hrs CST (or 1230 hrs IST)- versus Republic of China – White
- 21st July, 1100 hrs CST (or 0830 hrs IST)- versus Canada
- 22nd July, 1300 hrs CST (or 1030 hrs IST)- versus Philippines
- 23rd July, 1500 hrs CST (or 1230 hrs IST)- versus Japan
Official website: www.jonescup.choxue.com/
INDIAN CONTINGENT FOR THE 39TH WILLIAM JONES CUP
|Sr. No.||First Name||Middle and Last Name||Position||DOB||State/Unit|
|2||Anil Kumar||BUKANKERE KRISHNE GOWDA||SG||31/07/89||Karnataka/Vijaya Bank|
|5||Basil||PHILIP||SG||10/01/91||Kerala/Customs & Central Excise|
|7||Rikin||PETHANI||C||02/12/90||Tamil Nadu/Income Tax|
|11||Prasanna Venkatesh||SIVAKUMAR||SF||25/09/92||Tamil Nadu/IOB|
|17||Peter Santhosh Divaker||PEREJI||Referee||03/07/73||Telangana|
*PG – Point Guard / Feeder, G – Guard, F – Forward, G/F – Wing, PF – Power Forward, C – Centre, PF/C – Post