Venezuela protesters continues

Venezuela, protesters took over streets in Caracas yesterday responding to an Opposition call for nationwide protests. Protests were also held in San Cristobal, a town on the border with Colombia. Four months of protests against President Nicolas Maduro have, so far, claimed 113 lives.

Mr Maduro’s government has imposed a new ban on protests ahead of Sunday’s vote to choose a Constituent Assembly to rewrite Venezuela’s constitution. Those violating the order risked up to 10 years in prison.

The President has urged the Opposition to begin talks with his government. He has repeated that the election will go ahead, protected by the military.

Meanwhile, Colombia’s President Juan Manuel Santos says his country will not recognise the result of Sunday’s vote. He said the constituent assembly lacks legitimacy and therefore, his county cannot accept the result.

The United Nations has expressed concern about the risk of further violence in Venezuela.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s