Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Shrikant Prasad Purohit walks out of jail after nine years. Earlier in the day, army vehicles arrived at the Taloja jail ahead of his release. He is likely to join his unit in 24 hours. Army vehicles escort Lt Col Shrikant Prasad Purohit after his release from Taloja jail in Navi Mumbai.
The Supreme Court on Monday granted bail to Lt Col Shrikant Prasad Purohit, who has been languishing in jail for almost nine years for his alleged role in 2008 Malegaon blast case, observing there were contradictions in the chargesheets filed by different investigating agencies.
The top court also said it cannot deny the relief to him merely because “sentiments of community was against him”.
Six people were killed in a bomb blast on September 29, 2008, at Malegaon, a communally-sensitive textile town in Nasik district of north Maharashtra.
The army officer was to have walked out of jail yesterday, but his bail procedure could not be completed in time as the required papers did not reach the jail authorities before sunset.
He had said yesterday that he was waiting to return to his two families — the army, and his wife, children and dogs. Rediff