Portugal’s Interior Minister Constanca Urbano de Sousa resigns after fires killed over a hundred people, government says .dailysabah reports.
Portugal’s Interior Minister Constanca Urbano de Sousa resigned from her post after fires killed more than a hundred people in the country’s two worst disasters of recent times, the government said on Wednesday.
The minister said in her resignation letter that after the fires of recent days “I considered that I didn’t have the political and personal conditions to continue in my post.”
Overnight rain and calmer winds have helped firefighters tame a spate of deadly wildfires that broke out over the weekend, devouring homes and killing 41 people in Portugal and another four in northern Spain.
Portugal’s civil protection agency said Tuesday that the 15 biggest fires, which had raged through the center and the north of the country, had been brought under control, but that the death toll had risen.
“We’ve gone from 37 dead to 41,” civil protection agency spokeswoman Patricia Gaspar told AFP.
As the country began three days of mourning for the victims, the agency said 71 people had been injured in the fires, 16 of them seriously. And one person was still missing.