· Cabinet approves accession to WIPO Copyright Treaty, 1996 and WIPO Performance and Phonograms Treaty, 1996
The Union Cabinet chaired by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal submitted by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry regarding accession to the WIPO Copyright Treaty and WIPO Performers and Phonograms Treaty which extends coverage of copyright to the internet and digital environment. The approval is a step towards the objective laid in the National Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy adopted by the Government on 12-05-2016 which aims to get value for IPRs through commercialization by providing guidance and support to EPR owners about commercial opportunities of e-commerce through Internet and mobile platforms.
Benefits: Meeting the demand of the copyright industries, these treaties will help India:
1. To enable creative right-holders enjoy the fruit of their labour, through international copyright system that can be used to secure a return on the investment made in producing and distributing creative works;
2. To facilitate international protection of domestic rights holder by providing them level-playing field in other countries as India already extends protection to foreign works through the International Copyright order and these treaties will enable Indian right holders to get reciprocal protection abroad;
3. To instil confidence and distribute creative works in digital environment with return on investment; and
4. To spur business growth and contribute to the development of a vibrant creative economy and cultural landscape.
· Cabinet approves extension of Scheme of Recapitalization of Regional Rural Banks upto 2019-20
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the extension of the scheme of recapitalization of Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) for the next three years i.e. upto 2019-20. This will enable the RRBs to maintain the minimum prescribed Capital to Risk Weighted Assets Ratio (CRAR) of 9 percent. A strong capital structure and minimum required level of CRAR will ensure financial stability of RRBs which will enable them to play a greater role in financial inclusion and meeting the credit requirements of rural areas. There are 56 RRBs functioning in the country. As on 31-03-2017 (Prov.), the total credit given by RRBs was Rs.2,28,599 crore. The scheme of Recapitalization of RRBs started in FY 2010-11 and was extended twice in the year 2012-13 and 2015-16. The last extension was upto 31-03-2017. A total amount of Rs. 1107.20 crore, as Gol share, out of Rs.1450 crore, has been released to RRBs upto 31-03-2017. The remaining amount of Rs.342.80 crore will be utilized to provide recapitalization support to RRBs whose CRAR is below 9%, during the years 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20. The identification of RRBs requiring recapitalization and the amount of capital to be provided, will be decided in consultation with NABARD.
· Cabinet approves renewal of MoU between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India & Saudi Organisation for Certified Public Accountants
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in 2014 and approval for renewal of MoU between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) & Saudi Organisation for Certified Public Accountants (SOCPA) in Saudi Arabia to promote mutual co-operation framework. The aim is to work together to develop a mutually beneficial relationship in the best interest of ICAI members, students and their organizations. The MoU will provide an opportunity to the ICAI members to expand their professional horizons and simultaneously ICAI will become an entity to aid and strengthen capacity building of local nationals. The MoU will further enable ICAI to promote the Accounting and Auditing profession and all matters that might lead to the development of the profession and improve its status. The MoU will foster strong working relations between the ICAI & SOCPA thus giving strong professional opportunities to Indian Chartered Accountants in India and more confidence to employers in Eastern Province, thus creating significant employment opportunities for Indian Chartered Accountants.
· Cabinet approves MoU between India and United Kingdom on cooperation in the sphere of Law & Justice and establishing a Joint Consultative Committee
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom regarding cooperation between both countries in the sphere of Law & Justice and to set up a Joint Consultative Committee. The MoU takes care of concerns and requirements in the field of exchange of experience by legal professionals, government functionaries and their training and effective legal aid mechanism for resolution of disputes before various Courts, Tribunals, etc. and proposes establishment of Joint Consultative Committees.
· Cabinet approves transfer of 4 acres of Defence land on lease basis to KendriyaVidyalayaSangathan for the construction of KendriyaVidyalaya No. 4 at Kandhar Lines, Delhi Cantt.
The Union Cabinet chaired by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the transfer of 4 acres of Defence land in perpetuity basis to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) for the construction of Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 at Kandhar Lines, Delhi Cantt. at a nominal rent of one rupee per annum. At present, Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 at Delhi Cantt has been functioning from a temporary re-appropriated building in Survey No. 14, Delhi Cantt., since its establishment in 1994. Presently, 956 children are studying in the school. Construction of own permanent school building by KVS will provide proper and comfortable academic environment with all required amenities for the school going children of serving personnel families, ex-servicemen families and children of civilians in and around Delhi Cantt.
· Cabinet approves transfer of 7.5 acres of Defence land to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan for the construction of Kendriya Vidvalaya in Survey No. 408, Jalandhar Cantt
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, on 04-07-2018, approved the transfer of 7.5 acres of A-1 Defence land on lease in perpetuity basis at a nominal rent of Re 1/- per annum to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan for the construction of Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 in Survey No. 408, Jalandhar Cantt. At present, Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 at Jalandhar Cantt. has been functioning since 1987 in a temporary re-appropriated MES building opposite Kalwant Hall in Survey No. 408, Jalandhar Cantt. It is spread over 26 acres of A-1 Defence land. Presently, a total of 1346 children are studying in Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4, Jalandhar Cantt. Construction of own permanent school building by KVS will enable the school authorities to build optimal infrastructure to meet the educational requirements of the serving personnel. The remaining 18.5 acres of land will be handed over to the Army on completion of construction of the school building.
· Cabinet approves Transfer of Sashastra Seema Bal’s land measuring 5.99 acres at Tawang to the State Government of Arunachal Pradesh
The Union Cabinet chaired by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Transfer of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)’s land measuring 5.99 acres at Tawang to the State Government of Arunachal Pradesh for construction of a Mega-Festival-Cum-Multipurpose Ground. Arunachal Pradesh Government had identified a suitable portion of land measuring 5.99 acres within the campus of SSB at Tawang for construction of Mega Festival-cum-multipurpose ground with parking facilities (4,73 acres) and construction of ring road (1.26 acres) and accordingly, requested the transfer of the 5.99 acres land. Government of India, (Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region) has already sanctioned the project titled “Construction of Mega-Festival-Cum-Multipurpose Ground with parking facilities and approach road at Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh” in March, 2016. The multipurpose ground will be used for holding various tourism festivals, etc.
· Cabinet approves transfer of 7.118 acres of Defence land to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan for construction of Kendriya Vidyalaya Number 2 Dhar Road in District Udhampur, Jammu & Kashmir
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the transfer of 56 kanals and 19 marlas (7.118 acres) of Defence land on lease on long term basis for 30 years renewable for two like terms of 30 years each to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) for construction of KendriyaVidyalaya No. 2 at Udhampur, Jammu & Kashmir at a nominal rent of one rupee per annum. At present, Kendriya Vidyalaya Number 2, Dhar Road, Udhampur has been functioning in temporary buildings ever since its inception in 1985. Presently, a total of 851 students are studying in Kendriya Vidyalaya Number 2, Dhar Road, Udhampur. Construction of own permanent school building by KVS will enable the school authorities to build optimal infrastructure to meet the educational requirements of the children of serving personnel.
· Cabinet approves Umbrella Schemes for Relief and Rehabilitation of Migrants and Repatriates
The Union Cabinet chaired by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for continuance of the 8 existing schemes of the Ministry of Home Affairs upto March 2020 for relief and rehabilitation of migrants and repatriates under the Umbrella scheme “Relief and Rehabilitation of Migrants and Repatriates”. The financial implication for this purpose is Rs. 3183 crore for the period 2017-18 to 2019-20. The year-wise phasing of the scheme will be- Rs. 911 crore in 2017-18, Rs.1372 crore in 2018-19 and Rs. 900 crore in 2019-2020. The schemes will provide relief and rehabilitation assistance to the refugees, displaced persons, civilian victims of terrorist/communal/LWE violence and cross border firing and mine/IED blasts on Indian Territory and riot victims of various incidents, etc.
· Cabinet approves DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill, 2018; Mandatory Accreditation and Regulation of DNA Laboratories
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved The DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill 2018.
1. The primary intended purpose for enactment of “The DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill” is for expanding the application of DNA-based forensic technologies to support and strengthen the justice delivery system of the country.
2. The utility of DNA based technologies for solving crimes, and to identify missing persons, is well recognized across the world.
3. By providing for the mandatory accreditation and regulation of DNA laboratories, the Bill seeks to ensure that with the proposed expanded use of this technology in the country, there is also the assurance that the DNA test results are reliable and the data remain protected from misuse or abuse in terms of the privacy rights of the citizens.
4. Speedier justice delivery.
5. Increased conviction rate.
6. Bill’s provisions will enable the cross-matching between persons who have been reported missing on the one hand and unidentified dead bodies found in various parts of the country on the other, and also for establishing the identity of victims in mass disasters.
· Cabinet approves renaming of Agartala Airport, Tripura as Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore Airport, Agartala
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, gave its approval to rename the Agartala Airport in Tripura as ‘Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore Airport’, Agartala. The decision comes in the wake of the long pending demand of people of Tripura as well as the Tripura Government for paying tribute to Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore.