Colombia refutes claims bid failed assassination of Venezuela’s Maduro

Colombia’s ministry of foreign affairs has vehemently denied the country has been involved in the attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s life on Saturday. The ministry issued a strongly-worded statement, calling the claims of its involvement “absurd” and “lacking all foundation” after Maduro said that he had “no doubt that the name [of Colombian President] Juan Manuel Santos is behind this attack.” The ministry demanded “respect” for Santos, the Colombian authorities and its people, accusing Maduro of making a scapegoat out of Bogota on any occasion. Santos has repeatedly predicted “regime change” in Venezuela, that is battling with a severe economic slump and soaring inflation. Earlier this week, he alleged that Maduro’s days at the helm of the country are numbered. “I can see it [Maduro’s ouster] happening in the near future,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s