United States has suspended its 1.66 billion dollar security assistance to Pakistan. In an email response to questions, spokesman of the Department of Defense, Colonel Rob Manning told reporters that the decision has been taken on the directions of President Donald Trump. “USD 1.66 billion of security assistance to Pakistan is suspended,” Col Rob Manning, spokesman of the Department of Defence, told reporters in an e-mail response to questions on Tuesday.
Deputy Assistant Secretary Defense for Afghanistan, Pakistan and Central Asia under the previous Obama administration, David Sedney said, the blocking of military assistance, which began in January this year, is a strong signal of American frustration.
He told reporters that so far Pakistan has taken no serious steps to address the core US concern – that Pakistan often encourages groups which use violence against its neighbors.
Sedney was a part of the Pentagon when Osama bin Laden was killed in a raid by US commandoes in Abbottabad in Pakistan.