Myanmar forces conduct operations after 2 killed in Rakhine

The commander-in-chief’s office on Thursday said forces are conducting new rounds of operations in conflict-hit Rakhine state after four local Buddhists were attacked and two killed in one of the incidents blamed on Rohingya militants.

Myanmar forces are conducting new rounds of “clearance operations” in conflict-hit Rakhine state after four local Buddhists were attacked and two killed, the commander-in-chief’s office said yesterday, with one of the incidents blamed on Rohingya Muslims.

The violence occurred around the evening of December 17 along Pyu Ma creek in northern Rakhine state’s Maungdaw township, the same area where forces waged a bloody crackdown against the Rohingya last year.

More than 720,000 Rohingya fled to Bangladesh after Myanmar launched clearance operations in August 2017, and UN investigators want the country’s top brass prosecuted for genocide for alleged abuses carried out during the expulsion.

Myanmar said it was defending itself against Rohingya militants who attacked police posts and has denied almost all claims of atrocities.

But the commander-in-chief Min Aung Hlaing’s office said in the statement posted to his official website yesterday that security forces were active again and had been carrying out “area clearance operations along Pyu Ma Creek.”

Myanmar said it was defending itself against Rohingya militants who attacked police posts and has denied almost all claims of atrocities.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s