Xi gave the address on state-run China Central Television and other media on Monday.
Reflecting on 2018, Xi emphasized government efforts to tackle environmental problems.
He also stressed the work the government has done to improve the quality of people’s lives, saying that 10 million had been lifted out of poverty during the year.
Xi remarked that the People’s Republic of China will celebrate its 70th anniversary in 2019.
He noted that the country has to rely on the people to maintain self-reliance.
“Self-reliance” was a word favored by Mao Zedong, the founding father of the People’s Republic of China.
The remark indicates that Xi will not overly depend on foreign nations to boost China’s national power.
Xi said China is faced with huge changes not seen in a century. He added that no matter how the international situation changes, China’s confidence and determination to safeguard national sovereignty and security will not change.
Last 24 Hours
- PM Hasina’s party wins in Bangladesh election
- Japanese vet to help Cambodia prevent rabies
- S.Korea: Kim Jong Un hopes to visit Seoul
- Bangladesh holds general election
- Voting underway in Bangladesh
- Anak Krakatau volcano one-third pre-eruption size
- Bangladeshis go to poll on Sunday
- Rohingya refugees remain in limbo
- Landslide evidence for Sulawesi tsunami found