- The due date for submission of Contributions reports for the parties was 30 September 2019.
- BSP, INC, NCP and AITC submitted their Contributions reports on time while CPI submitted after 3 days, CPM submitted after 21 days and BJP submitted after a delay of 31 days.
Donations above Rs 20,000 to National Parties from all over India (FY 2018-19)
- The total donations (above Rs 20,000) declared by the National Parties was Rs. 951.66 cr, from 5520 donations.
- A total of Rs 742.15 cr was declared by BJP from 4483 donations while INC declared receiving Rs 148.58 cr from 605 donations. The donations declared by BJP is more than three times the aggregate declared by INC, NCP, CPI, CPM and AITC for the same period.
- BSP declared that the party did not receive any donations above Rs 20,000 during FY 2018-19, as it has been declaring for the past 13 years.
*One donation amount not declared by party
- The total donations of the National Parties during FY 2018-19 increased by Rs 481.77 cr, an increase of almost 103%, from the previous financial year 2017-18.
- Donations to BJP increased from Rs 437.04 cr during FY 2017-18 to Rs 742.15 cr during FY 2018-19 (70% increase). Party’s donations decreased by 18% during FY 2017-18 in comparison to FY 2016-17.
- INC donations increased from Rs 26.658 cr during FY 2017-18 to Rs 148.58 cr during FY 2018-19 (457% increase). While INC’s donations decreased by 36% between FY 2016-17 and FY 2017-18.
- Segregation of donations according to State was made by ADR based on the address provided by the parties in their donations report to the ECI.
- A total of Rs 548.22 cr was donated to the National Parties from Maharashtra, followed by Rs 141.42 cr from Delhi and Rs 55.31 cr from Gujarat.
- A total of Rs 65.84 cr, (6.92% of total donations received by the National parties, FY 2018-19), could not be attributed to any State/ Union Territory due to incomplete information provided by the parties.
- 1776 donations to the National Parties were made by corporate/business sectors amounting to Rs 876.11 cr (92.06% of total donations) while 3509 individual donors donated Rs 71.407 cr (7.50% of total donations) to the parties during FY 2018-19.
- 1575 donations from corporate/business sectors were made to BJP (Rs 698.092 cr) while 2741 individual donors donated Rs 41.70 cr to the party during FY 2018-19.
- INC received a total of Rs 122.5 cr via 122 donations from corporate/business sectors and Rs 25.39 cr via 482 individual donors during FY 2018-19.
- Progressive Electoral Trust donated a total of Rs 455.15 cr to BJP, INC and AITC together and is one of the top 2 donors to the three parties that received the maximum donations. The Trust donated Rs 356.535 cr to BJP (48.04% of total funds received by the party) and Rs 55.629 cr to INC (37.44% of total funds received by the party).
- BJP and INC received a total of Rs 67.25 cr (9.06%) and Rs 39 cr (26.25%), respectively from Prudent Electoral Trust.
Observations of ADR
- Of the 7 National Parties, 4 parties, BJP, INC, CPI and CPM had not declared PAN details of 1300 donations through which the parties collected a total of Rs 29.44 cr (3.09%). This is five times more than the amount of donations declared by these National Parties during FY 2017-18. BJP declared Rs 27.24 cr from 1170 donations where it failed to provide PAN details of donors. INC collected Rs 92.80 lakhs from 28 donations without PAN. 81 donations to CPI (Rs 1.168 cr) and 21 donations from CPM (Rs 10.70 lakhs) do not have PAN details.
- 3 National Parties (BJP, INC, and CPM) have declared Rs 2.49 cr from 46 donations having missing/incorrect PAN details.
- BJP declared 452 donations of Rs 514.48 cr, AITC collected 89 donations of Rs 44.26 cr and INC collected 51 donations of Rs 4.51 cr having incomplete cheque/DD details where cheque number, bank details on which it was drawn and the date on which the cheque was received/ encashed is not provided. Thus, without the complete cheque/DD details, it would be a time consuming process to link the donors against their donations and hence trace the money trail.
- CPI and CPM have also not declared the details of cheque and DD (cheque number, bank on which it was drawn and the date) for a total of 66 donations of Rs 78 lakhs and 31 donations of Rs 35.63 lakhs, respectively.
- For the last 13 years consecutively, BSP declared that the party did not receive any donations above Rs 20,000.
- After the analysis by ADR, it is found that the total sum of donations declared by INC in its Contributions report is incorrect. It is found that the total declared (Rs 146.78 cr) by the party is Rs 1.80 cr less than the actual amount (Rs 148.58 cr). This reinforces our demand for proper scrutiny of the parties’ audited accounts by the IT department.
- There are 164 donations of Rs 2.34 cr declared by BJP in its Contributions Report for FY 2018-19 against which the name of donor is not mentioned. In case of CPM, the name of donor is not mentioned against one contribution of Rs 30,00