US President Donald Trump has threatened to halt American funding for the World Health Organization (WHO) for good, giving the agency 30 days to clean up its act while insisting it mishandled the Covid-19 pandemic
In world health assembly of WHO, African group of nations extends support for India-backed resolution at the WHA
Futher proceeding on draft resolution EU, World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced that it it would launch an independent review of its handling of the coronavirus pandemic as US President Donald Trump alleged that the body was a “puppet of China”.
Washington is locked in an increasingly bitter spat with Beijing over the new coronavirus pandemic and has also taken aim at the WHO, which on Monday kicked off its first ever virtual assembly.
A resolution tabled by the European Union called for an “impartial, independent and comprehensive evaluation” of the international response to the pandemic, which has so far infected nearly 4.8 million people and killed more than 317,000.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus acknowledged there had been shortcomings and told the virtual assembly he welcomed calls for a review.
“I will initiate an independent evaluation at the earliest appropriate moment to review experience gained and lessons learned, and to make recommendations to improve national and global pandemic preparedness and response,” he said.
In a scathing letter addressed to WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom on Monday night, Trump took the agency to task for what he said were “inaccurate and misleading”statements about the coronavirus and moving too slowly to address the crisis, while also accusing it of doing China’s bidding along the way
It’s positive impact on WHO covering each move of Dragon in spreading Coronavirus across globe is under scanner of independent probe from WHO then it’s voices be heard in UN, ICJ, IHR, EU Parliament Council CJ, ASEAN etc
World Health Organization (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has promised that an independent review of the organization’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic will begin at the “earliest appropriate” time.
Speaking to the annual meeting of the World Health Assembly on Monday, Tedros said the WHO had “lessons to learn” and that the body “must examine its response” to the global health crisis.
He promised that the WHO was committed to “transparency” and “accountability” following criticisms of the organization’s handling of the pandemic, particularly from the Donald Trump administration, which cut its funding last month, triggering international criticism.
Trump has accused the WHO of acting in a “China-centric” manner and of “covering up” information about the spread of the Covid-19 infection at Beijing’s command. Both the WHO and China have rejected those claims.
On Monday, Tedros said that the organization had “sounded the alarm early” and “sounded it often” as the virus spread around the world.