A two-week state of emergency in Lebanon’s capital declared after last week’s gigantic and deadly explosion was approved Thursday by the country’s parliament, giving the army greater powers to suppress resurgent protests.
The colossal blast that killed at least 171 people and wounded 6,500 has reignited street protests demanding the ouster of the entire political elite, dominated by former warlords from the 1975-1990 civil war.
Dozens of demonstrators shouted as lawmakers arrived at parliament to ratify the emergency measure, but protesters were outnumbered by security forces and failed to block the MPs’ cars.
FBI will join Beirut blast probe, US diplomat says in Lebanon.
PM Diab resigns as people’ protests widen with #BeirutBlast & rising death toll. Consequently, French President Macron along with US back protestors & arrange stream of donors. PM‘s resignation & return of Western nations is blow to #Hezbollah & its sponsors
The FBI will join Lebanese and international investigators in a probe into last week’s massive Beirut explosion that killed at least 172 people, a senior US diplomat said on Thursday.
US Under Secretary for Political Affairs David Hale said in Beirut this was at the invitation of Lebanese authorities, Reuters reports.
The high-ranking US diplomat headed to Lebanon to stress the “urgent need” for the country to embrace fundamental reform, the State Department said. The visit comes in the aftermath of a blast that caused large-scale damage in the capital, Beirut.