Azerbaijan has claimed that Armenian forces lost 550 servicemen, while Armenia reported only several dozen casualties, adding that Baku had lost hundreds of soldiers.
Nagorno-Karabakh, an Armenian-majority autonomy, proclaimed independence from what was then Soviet Azerbaijan in 1991. A major conflict between Baku and Yerevan ravaged the area until 1994 when the sides agreed to start peace talks mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group
Nagorno-Karabakh is not a “disputed”, but occupied territory. This is the territory of Azerbaijan officially.
UN Chief Calls On Armenia, Azerbaijan To Cease Hostilities.
More than 90 killed in Nagorno-Karabakh clashes second day of heavy clashes between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops continued into the night on Monday, with the death toll topping 90, including civilians.
The two former Soviet republics have been in conflict for more than three decades, with disputes focused on Nagorno-Karabakh, a mainly ethnic Armenian autonomous region in western Azerbaijan.
The latest clashes erupted on Sunday and have already claimed 95 lives, among them 11 civilians, according to the military and other sources.
On Monday, Russia’s presidential office spokesperson Dmitry Peskov urged both sides to exercise the utmost restraint. Russia is an ally of Armenia, while Turkey and Azerbaijan maintain friendly ties.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on Armenia on Monday to immediately withdraw from territory he said it was occupying in Azerbaijan. His remark drew a sharp reaction from Armenians.
Observers say the moves of Russia and Turkey, which exert a strong influence on Armenia and Azerbaijan, will be a focal point if clashes escalate.
Military officials in Nagorno-Karabakh confirmed that 16 of its servicemen were among the dead and more than 100 were wounded. Armenian rights activists said earlier that an ethnic Armenian woman and child had also been killed.
UN chief was set to talk with Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian on September 28 after having spoken with Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev earlier in the day, Guterres’s spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.
Guterres is also pushing the two sides to resume talks and accept the redeployment of monitors from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe to the region, Dujarric said.
Meanwhile, the UN Security Council is expected to hold emergency talks on September 29 to discuss the fighting following a request from Germany and France. The fighting threatens to draw in regional powers Russia and Turkey.
Yerevan has already accused Ankara of having a “direct presence on the ground” and supplying its ally Baku with weapons, including drones.
The long-simmering conflict in the volatile South Caucasus erupted into the deadliest bouts of fighting in four years on September 27.
At least 58 Armenian servicemen and seven Azerbaijani civilians have been confirmed dead so far in the fighting. Armenian reports of losses among Azerbaijani forces have not been confirmed by Baku.